Worksite Investigation Basics (WIB)
Please note that this course replaces Managing Workplace Investigations (MWI). This course can be used as an elective for the NCSO/HSA Programs.
This one-day course is designed to provide the participant with the knowledge and skills to be able to analyze a basic worksite incident, determine incident causes, and complete an investigation report. The theory component of the course is completed in the morning session. The practical component of the course is completed during an investigation workshop in the afternoon session. Attendance at both sessions is required.
Course topics include:
- reasons for performing investigations
- importance of investigating near misses
- legislation requirements under OHS
- elements of an investigation policy
- Simplified Investigation Process (SIP)
- Loss Causation Model (LCM)
- SMART corrective actions
- investigation documentation and reporting
This course has a written exam component and a practical skills component. Participants must achieve a minimum score of 70% on the exam (closed-book) and complete all of the practical skills for course certification.